January 18, 2009

Over the last several months I finished rebuilding the transmission. This past week, I mated it up to the motor and adapter plate with the new clutch (on the workbench. The motor shaft can just barely be turned by hand which doesn't bode well. I think my "rebuild" may have to be chalked up as a learning experience -- I may have to buy a new (I mean used) transmission.

Doing a full charge/discharge cycle on my first 4 batteries -- the discharge will be accomplished by just running the motor/tranny combination. At the end of the overcharge portion of the charging cycle I noticed a bit of moisture on one (out of 40) of the cell caps -- number 5 in batt #1.

Checking electrolyte levels. This is battery number 1. The levels are a bit low in cells 4, 7 and 9.

This is battery number 2. The level is extremely low in cell 8. (I added a bit of water to this cell after testing voltages.)

Battery number 3. The 4th and 5th cells are a bit low. Number 10 is rather too high.

Battery number 4. Cells 4 and 6 are slightly low. Numbers 7,8,9 and 10 are rather high.